Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thursdays Child John 1: 40-51

Well, It looks like we're going to have another edition of Thursdays Child on Monday. I started blogging because on an overnight shift there has usually been time to get something written, especially in the fall. Well this hasn't been a typical fall because it seems like it has been a long time since I've been able to write at work. Maybe we're back to normal.
First of all what I find interesting in this passage is, John describes Andrew as Simon Peter's brother, like we already know how important he is going to be, then tells us he went to get him. An interesting note I heard once about Andrew is that you don't hear much about him but the times that you do he is bringing someone to Jesus. Here's something that I found weird. Verse 43 tells us the next day Jesus decides to go to Galilee. Back in verse 28 it tells us that all this stuff is taking place in Bethany. According to the maps in the back of my Bible, oh that's why they're there, that's approximately 100 miles. Now, it doesn't say He made it in a day but it doesn't say He didn't, but once He got there He found Philip and told Philip to follow him, who in turn went to find Nathanael. When he found him he told him they had found the person Moses and the other prophets had written about. His name is Jesus, Joseph's son from Nazareth. Nathanael said "can anything good come out of Nazareth?" I'm going to have to do some research and find out why Nazareth was looked down on. Or if someone knows you can leave a comment.
As they got close to Jesus, Jesus described Nathanael. Nathanael asked him how he knew that. Jesus said He had seen him under the fig tree. Nathanael knew Jesus hadn't been around when he was under the fig tree. As I was reading this I imagined the following dialogue going something like this, Nathanael says "whoa you really are the son of God" and Jesus says, "you believe that just because I told you I saw you under the fig tree? You ain't seen nothin' yet. You're all going to see heaven open up and the angels of God going up and down on me." Needless to say Nathanael followed. I encourage you to read the Bible in a way that it will speak to you, like how I imagined this dialogue in a humorous way. Anything we can do to make Jesus more personal helps, so He doesn't seem so distant and ominous. Keep searching for your way. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

No comments: