Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursdays child-John 1:29-34

As I was reading John 1:29 for this week's Thursdays Child I noticed that John doesn't mention that he was baptizing Jesus when he claimed that Jesus was the Lamb of God. Each of the other Gospels do though. John starts out by by saying Look! When I read this I imagined John speaking in our language of today. I don't think he nonchalantly said "oh look there is the Lamb of God." I think it would have been more like "HEY YO, YO, YO, LOOK THERE IS THE LAMB OF GOD." I picture him saying "THERE HE IS, THERE HE IS, THE ONE I WAS TALKING ABOUT." I find that when I read the Bible I don't always put the expression in my reading that the people are probably putting in there conversation. When we do that, like in this passage, the Bible comes to life a little more, is a little more fun to read. When we read just to get through a daily devotion, some times we miss that personal feeling. Sure, we may get the message God intends for us, but if we can put ourselves in their shoes and think about how we would feel if it happened to us, that message will take on a whole new personalized meaning. So, whenever you sit down to read don't just read to get it over with and get warm and fuzzy. Read to get personal and really do some searching. He won't let you down. He is God by the way, and knows your heart before you sit down. Thanks for searching with me, Paul.

No comments: