Saturday, August 1, 2009

Death of an Ego

The past couple of days has brought to my mind the saying "life is fleeting." Most of the time we hear it and dismiss it as cliche', but no longer will I take it so lightly. Friday was the day that I was personally affected, Friday and Saturday was helping kids deal with death. Last week my wife's cousin passed away at the age of 29 from a disease he found he had when he was 18. Kids' questions regarding the viewing, and funeral been common, and frequent. I experienced death in another way also. I saw a man awake, alert, and talking. An hour and a half later he had passed away. All efforts to try to revive him were futile. Some family members weren't even able to make it to see him before he died. It left me with the realization that how we treat people one moment could be how they remember us forever. Now that's not necessarily a new concept either but, events like this help us to remember these lessons, and why do we stray from these lessons? I thought about how our ego affects our relationships. If it weren't for egos would there be conflict? Isn't living in harmony what everyone seems to want? Why is that so hard to achieve? EGO that's why. I recommend we just get over ourselves for awhile, and see what kind of difference we can make in the lives of others, even if only for just a day. Thanks for reflecting with me, Paul

No comments: