Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursdays Child- Comparisons

I've been feeling kind of churchy lately, following the typical through the Bible routine. That's one thing I feel I am definitely not. When our church had outgrown it's building we had to meet at the local civic center, and a few motel conference rooms. I liked having church like that better. In some ways I'm a routine oriented person, probably because it helps you get through your day on autopilot, but in other ways I'm not. I get bored with routine. Like having the living furniture arranged a certain way for too long. I just need a change. That's how I feel this week, like Thursdays Child may become boring if we keep poking through John week after week. We'll come back to it, but this week I want to look at some comparisons, or similarities of Taoism and Christianity. The main thing I've noticed is, Taoism is translated "The Way." If you read Acts 9, 19, and 24, it talks about the early christian church being called "The Way." The Bible has the Ten Commandments, Taoism has the Ten Precepts. While there are differences, there are similarities as well. The main ones being, do not kill, and do not steal. I've always been interested in the martial arts, in particular the ones that originated out of China like Kung Fu, and Chinese culture in general, so I think it would be a natural tendency for me to research the Chinese based religions. Since the world, because of terrorism, has been introduced to the Islamic, and Muslim faiths I have been trying to read some of the Quran. That's about as easy as reading The King James version of the Bible. There are similarities to the Quran and the Bible. They both talk about Abraham, and the flood, to name a couple. So, it makes me wonder have all these teachings been given from the same God, just interpreted differently? Each religion has its extremes. The KKK uses the Bible to justify their prejudice actions. There are the killings of abortion doctors. Didn't Jesus teach love thy neighbor. I encourage you to check out other religions, it will give you a whole new perspective on the other cultures we share our world with, and maybe, just maybe, we'll learn a little about each other, break down some of those walls of prejudice, and find that illusive peace everyone is talking about. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. I've noticed some of the same things as you have in reading about other religions.