Saturday, December 26, 2009

Trying Not To Be A Grinch

Okay, so I decided to write a Christmas blog. I wasn't going to because I didn't want to reveal the grinch side of me. Don't get me wrong I love Christmas. I love giving my kids and grandkids gifts and watching their eyes light up when they get something totally unexpected. Umm underwear is expected. What frustrates me is, that Christmas has to be centered around money. I realize that is when the retailers do the bulk of their business. I have the radio on all night long at work. Do you know how hard it is to find a radio station that doesn't play 24 hours of Christmas music starting the day after Thanksgiving? By the time Christmas rolls around I just want to break the silent night with the loudest scream I can muster. Fortunately I found an oldies station that didn't inflict that torture. On Christmas eve however I did get to hear "The 12 Days of Christmas" by the Muppets, and by the Mackenzie Brothers, so that was fun. Got me back in the mood a little bit. Then, today I read a post from a blog I follow,"A Personal Tao Musings." I've quoted him in the past. Once again he has given me inspiration. He has written how I feel without venting and revealing Mr. Grinch. He started out by saying what we all know but seldom do, that is, we need to live life fully everyday. The whole blog was good, but he had the greatest statement toward the end of the post. He said he loves it when people say "What Would Jesus Do? Well, What would Jesus do if He saw the way we celebrate His Holiday?" I guess that is how I feel. I'm also aware that some people don't make it a "Religious" holiday but, we can all slow down and reflect on the things that are truly meaningful to us. Thanks for letting me vent, Paul

2 comments:

Angel said...

One good aspect to this recession is that I have seen people become just a little more ... money conscious... when it comes to gift giving. No, they're not becoming 'cheap' - they're giving more thought to how practical and worthwhile their gifts are.

Getting away from the consumer driven greed retail stores try to infect us with is a worthy goal. And I don't think you're a grinch, Paul. Not by a long shot. I'm sure you THINK that you feel like a grinch but I can assure you that you are hardly alone in your Holiday slump-mood. Somehow I feel as though there is no Christ in Christmas any longer. The meaning of that has escaped us.

An atheist blog I follow had an inventive reaction to all the Christmas parties he was being invited to. He held a Happy Axial Tilt Day! It was on the Winter Solstice(21st this year) instead of on Christmas Day and it a purely seasonal type party instead of mentioning a religious figure. I'm not atheist but I tell you what- I'm considering following suit myself next year.

All the best to you,

Angel

Paul said...

Thanks for the lift. I noticed at midnight on the 25th the radio stations went back to regular programing whew. Maybe I just don't do stress very well because now that it's all over I feel like I've taken a big sigh of relief. What ever it is I'm at least having fun with the kids' new toys. Thanks Again, Paul