Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Teachable Spirit- Learning Kindness

Click on title to go to separate kindness article
First of all, I naturally feel like I have to throw in a disclaimer to satisfy the christian community I am associated with. I don't know why, I make no apologies for how I feel. I have just heard some people in the christian church I am a member of are concerned that I'm into some weird stuff. Well, you are always free to email me or leave a comment, and I will definitely get back to you. Having said that , no I haven't gone over the edge, but I might be able to see it from where I am :) and yes, I still believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. I do however hope you go to the link and read the article. This is from one of my favorite blogs. I read this guy's stuff alot. He has alot of good things to say.
Next, taking into consideration that the Dali Lama is probably not a christian, I say probably because who really knows for sure where somebody elses heart is. In reality the Dali Lama is the head of state and the spiritual leader of the people of Tibet. They consider him to be a manifestation of the Buddha of Compassion. So that would make the official religion of the Dali Lama, Buddhism.
Notice how the world respects the Dali Lama. He has compassion for all people. He travels the world interceding for civil rights and people who are being persecuted. Noone would dare harm him. He shows love and kindness. He isn't out traveling the world racking up high numbers of Buddhist converts. He's just out fighting for and loving people. Granted, Billy Graham traveled the world and he was just as respected. Maybe because people can tell the genuine from the egotistical.
But, getting back to the article, love and kindness doesn't have to be complicated. Do we always have to have an alterior motive for our acts of kindness? Do we have to make people listen to a sermon before we feed them? As we have said before the world is in a constant state of balance we reap what we sow, law of giving and recieving, etc, etc. Where is the balance in forcing others to convert to our way just to fulfill our ego. I know we are instructed to "Go into the world and make disciples..." Can't we make disciples by planting a seed, or watering a seed in someones heart that was previously planted and just let the Holy Spirit do His job? Eventually that person is going to inquire about these acts of kindness. So, as we go through this adventure between birth and death, let's search for the balance in kindness. How much more of an impact we would make. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

2 comments:

Angel said...

Paul, you're spreading mustard seeds. How dare you!! *wink*

Honestly, I like your approach. Your open mindedness is refreshing.

I am Gnostic. We tend to look at strict dogmatic religions with an eyebrow twitch and a sigh. I guess you could say that we're less into literal interpretations of Great Texts and try to find the truth within ourselves. We enjoy reading EVERYTHING. Bookworms. All of us. I think there are nuggets of truth in everything if you look within yourself and 'feel it out'. Literally roll the idea around in your heart and see where it leads you. *shrug* That's really the best I can describe my own personal beliefs.

You are embarking on a wild ride. Go where the currents take you, my friend, and keep your eyes, ears, and soul open to learning. Life is an adventure!! Have fun with it!

The evangelical slant is .... how can I say this? ... looking less and less like free choice and more and more like the Crusades of long ago. A bit scary. But times they are a changin'.

Paul said...

Angel, thank you, people who have "the only possible way" really bug me. Let's take off the blinders shall we Thanks again, Paul