Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thursdays Child --John 2:18-25 WHAT!!

The reason we read the Bible is naturally to get some inspiration from God. As we read, thoughts come to mind, and some people say "God spoke to me." I prefer to say "God showed me." I have been known to say God spoke to me, but only because that is such a common phrase some times it just slips out. In reality I have never heard an audible voice from the heavens, and although I have heard of it happening, I believe it is very, very rare. I believe everyone gets inspiration and God touches our hearts when we read the Bible. I only say this because, I've noticed that as we go through the book of John, God has been showing me the human side of Jesus, and John 2 18-25 is no exception.
Imagine the looks on the people's faces after Jesus went ballistic on them. They asked Him(vs 18) "What right do you have to do these things? If you have this authority from God show us a miraculous sign to prove it." "Alright." Jesus replied. "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up."
Now imagine the new look on their faces. "WHAT!!" looking at each other. What the heck is He talking about. "It took forty years to build this temple." I just imagine them thinking- we're not going to tear down our temple to let you prove a point. So they just walked away shaking their heads, mumbling derogatory things about Jesus. He did however do some miraculous things at the Passover celebration, and many people were convinced that He was the Messiah, but since He was refering to His body as the temple, they didn't understand that statement until He was raised from the dead.
Verses 24 and 25 says, He knew human nature so He didn't trust them. I also think, He knew human nature, and because of His own human qualities He decided to mess with their heads. He knew they wouldn't understand it so He decided to have a little fun with them. It was a joke only He understood, but I'm sure He got a kick out of watching them walk away confused. Since He had the advantage of divine and human qualities it must have been fun to mess with them. As we search we have the benefit of knowing that Jesus is God and human, so it's fun to see both sides of Him. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

No comments: