Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thursdays Child - John 2:1-11 1st Miracle

Welcome to another Sunday edition of Thursdays Child. I'm excited about it after last weeks disappointing look at our Christian community. This week is fun because I was able to see Jesus as the obedient son. Instead of typing it all out, a summary the wedding feast miracle would read, Jesus, his mother and some of the disciples were at a wedding feast. Jesus' mother came to Him and told Him they had ran out of wine. He asked her "What does that have to do with us?" "My time has not yet come." She told the servants "Do what he tells you." He told the servants to fill a bunch of pots with water. All of a sudden the water was wine.

My question is, why did He make the wine? He told her no, it was not His concern. Was there more dialogue than is written? I am only going to base this theory stricktly from this scripture in the book of John. I haven't searched any of the other books. I'm thinking she could have said something like "You may be God but I'm still your mother young man." What I've really been wondering is, Did she give Him the "MOMMY LOOK?" You know she had to have one. I don't believe there is a parent in history that doesn't.

What do I think? I think she gave Him the look, raised her eyebrows at Him or whatever, immediately turned to the servants and said "Do what He says." and she walked off. In other words this conversation is over, you will do it. Then like a good boy, He hung His head and told the servants to go get water.

Was it an appropriate use of His powers? Who knows? Who cares? I think it has more to do with Deuterotomy 6:16. Honor thy mother and father. His mom told Him to do it, He did it. Not only did He make the wine He made the best wine possible.

That just gave me a thought. If you've ever known someone having self esteem issues and told them "God don't make junk." This is a good example of that. Even when the people were already drunk and the less expensive wines were usually used God made the best. He is perfect He can't make less than the best.
It was fun to look at Jesus as a momma's boy, but most of all it was interesting to see that even though He was God, He was on this earth as a human and had to live according to the laws set up for us
Thanks for searching with me again, Paul

No comments: