Saturday, January 16, 2010

Compassion For Haiti

When you look at the pictures of Haiti this week doesn't it make you feel helpless? Doesn't it give you an overwhelming feeling of sadness? The question I asked was how will they rebuild? Yes, the world is coming to their aid. Yes, food, and medical aid are already starting to arrive. There was a doctor from Rapid City, S.D. that was already there on a mission trip and was able to help some before he had to come home. If you notice the houses that are still standing you can tell how poor the country is. Regardless of the massive deficit in this country the U.S. is considered a rich country and, even though we don't hear about it very much any more New Orleans is still rebuilding after hurricane Katrina. If you're feeling overwhelmed for the people of Haiti, imagine how they must feel looking down their streets and seeing nothing but rubble where their houses used to be, and not being able to find family members that are missing. There are many ways in which to help. It doesn't take much searching to find legitimate charities.
I follow a blog from James MacDonald of Harvest Bible Chapel. His latest blog said, what bothered him the most was, who is going to help the churches? He talked to some other pastors this past week, and they decided to take a team to Haiti early next week and assess what needs the churches have. They have already started a website so everyone can keep updated. The website is www.churcheshelpingchurches.com. If you are involved in a church they are more than likely developing ways to help. If you aren't, this would be a way to help a legitimate, respected, organization who is trying to help those who are trying to help those who are suffering. The website just has a "test post" up right now. But, they are suppose to start posting needs when they get back next week.
As I search inside myself, and the hurt I feel for them, I don't know how much I will be able to do financially but I do feel fortunate that I am able to help by passing on the information. As they post the needs I'll continue to keep everyone posted.
The verse Love One Another keeps coming to mind, and the phrase Love Equals Compassion. Life is a constant search. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I am a practicing Buddhist in the Rapid City area and, of course, the events that occured in Haiti brought forth compassion (from all religious communities and not just the Buddhists). Compassion is a universal concept when it comes to any religious practice.

I don't feel too much concern over places of worship though (of any religion) since at times such as these, I think the need is to find those places within ourselves rather than attach to buildings of worship. Of course, I take alot for granted from my position.

I blog about Buddhism as well as occassional religious rants. I think our blogs have similar goals but from different angles. Very cool.

Cheers,

John
www.zendirtzendust.com

Paul said...

Sorry I haven't been able to reply to your comment sooner. I see so many similarities in different religions I don't know why we can't but aside all the theological BS and play well together. I find myself with more Tao tendencies instead of the structure of some of the others. I am encouraged when I see humans acting humane and reaching down to help one another. Thanks for your encouragement, Paul

Anonymous said...

Well, the reasons for divisions are largely manufactured. From my buddhist background Itend to believe that karuna (compassion), meta (loving-kindness), prajna (wisdom) and dyana (concentration) are a similar thread that runs through most philosophical and religious beliefs.

For some reason, ppl believe that if we hold on and pull on that thread then our own viewpoint will unravel but that usually isn't the case.

Instead many grasp onto labels, dogmatic concepts and empty rituals.

If interested I would love to have you guest post on my blog on your views of buddhist practice (or Taoist). I allow guests to post about their views and answer questions from readers. I have a had pagans, atheists and other (more fundamental) buddhists post already. Would love to hear your voice.

Cheers,

John
www.zendirtzendust.com

Paul said...

Thanks for the offer. I'll check out your blog and let you know if my schedule eases any. With my work schedule and shared custody of my kids I would hate to plan anything right now. I'm actually having a hard time finding time to write. But it sounds fun I'll let you know Thanks again, Paul