Friday, April 23, 2010

Thursdays Child: John 3:13,16,17 Round Trip Ticket

As I mentioned last time, I purposely stopped at John 3:16. I also omitted verse 13 in the last post because I saw that they go together.
Verse 13 says, and this is Jesus talking "For only I, the Son of Man have come to earth and will return to heaven again."
I wrote in one of my first posts, how I have heard it bothers some people that God sent His Son to earth to die. The thought was "How could a loving God do this?" This scripture explains it. God the father didn't make the Son do it. All three, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are God. So, it was basically Jesus' job to make the sacrifice. Yes, He was born the way all humans are born, and no we don't know at what age He realized He was God. We do know that at 12 years old He was teaching the church leaders in the temple, and when His parents were looking for Him He said "Didn't you know I would be about my fathers business." That leads me to believe He knew then.
John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world the He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." In human terms this statement is true. The Holy Spirit got Mary pregnant. Jesus grew inside of her -I'm not even going to try to figure out they accomplished that-and was born as a human baby. They knew that the human race would never be "good enough" to go to heaven, so they had to give us a way to not burn in hell forever. That's why verse 17 says "God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world but to save it. Maybe this is a good time to talk about this. It's been a few weeks since Easter. We're back to the daily routine. It's probably a good time to remind ourselves what Jesus did for us. As we learn other things all year long, it's a good idea to get back to that Easter feeling periodically. Keep searching for that Easter feeling, and thanks for searching with me, Paul

No comments: