Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thursdays Child John 3:1-15 A Humble Leader

This time on Thursdays Child I'd like to talk about Nicodemus. As John 3 starts out it says, "after dark one evening." I wondered if that meant Nicodemus went to Jesus in secret so the other Pharisees wouldn't know, because the next sentence says "WE ALL KNOW that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are proof enough that God is with you." It's funny how you read things over and over and, and different things come to mind at different times. This is the first time I noticed Nicodemus saying "We all know." I just always thought the Pharisees thought Jesus was a fake and killed Him for blasphemy, and defying Jewish law. This tells me they were worried they would lose their power, and their ability to control the people. They felt that the people would discover that faith in God is about love, not following a strict law. Next Jesus tells him, "Unless you are born again you can never see the kingdom of God." Where did that come from? Why did He say that? His divinity showing again I guess. Nicodemus never asked anything about that. All I can think is, Jesus knew Nicodemus was going to ask it. Then Jesus explains to him that born again doesn't mean going back into the womb. It means being given a new life by the Holy Spirit. It's the same as being able to hear the wind and you can't tell where it comes from or where it's going, it's impossible to explain to people how to be born of the Spirit. Nicodemus once again asked Jesus what He meant. Jesus just told him if you don't believe the things that I tell you about what is happening on earth how will you believe what's going on in heaven? It makes me wonder why they were so wrapped up in the law set down in the old testament. The also had the stories of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, Daniel, and others and how they were devoted to God and prayed hours on end. I'm sure these guys understood what new life from the Holy Spirit was all about. It is all about your connection with God. The Pharisees were all about themselves and their power and control. If you look at things that have happened even in our modern times, and the preachers that have fallen because of money and power. Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, and the ones that have stayed true to God and have continually been blessed by God, Billy Graham, Greg Laurie, and many more. Fortunately there are more that have stayed true than have been consumed by power. That connection with God is what we're searching for here. I intentionally stopped at verse 15 so we can start at John 3:16 next time. I know I've said it before but, as I search for a deeper connection with God, I hope this also helps you in your search. Thanks for searching with me, Paul

No comments: