Thursday, April 29, 2010

Critter Watching

I've tried to develop a schedule for writing so maybe I'll be a little more frequent with my posts. I'm aware of how bizarre this post is going to appear, but noone has ever accused me of being very normal, so you decide. Here goes.
As of the first of April the kids and I moved from a second floor apartment to a ground floor apartment. Which means they can step right out of the sliding glass door to go play instead of having to go down the stairs and having to yell up to be let in, since it is a secure building.
Living on the ground floor, and the weather getting warmer, has already brought out of hiding some of the summertime critters. We have already had a few ear piercing events from the youngest member of the group. Well, the other day I was pondering where to go next in a story, and noticed an ant on the floor. It's a tile floor with the 1" ceramic tiles with grout. I watched this ant as he (he is the generic term, I didn't actually pick it up to check) walked on the tiles and grout. When he was walking on the grout it was like he was in a valley, it would be similar to us walking in a maze with high walls. I started wondering if they instinctively find their way, or if they leave a scent, because I didn't see breadcrumbs. He would start down one path turn around and go another, like he knew it was the wrong way. Through trial and error, he made it from one end of the room to the other and went into the opening he had come out of. Instinct? HMMM. Fascinating none the less. Or maybe I just need to get out more. Being the environmentally conscious person that I am, I got the bug spray and sprayed the spot where he disappeared. Sorry but, preventing the four year from freaking out at bugs and in turn giving me a heart attack wins out every time over eco-friendly. Okay, I agree it was a little too bizarre, but fun. Thanks for sharing the bizarre with me, Paul

No comments: