Friday, June 5, 2009

2Corinthians 5:8 Revealed

Well, let's start this off with something that has been bugging me for a few months now. Someone had told me they were having a conversation with others about death, afterlife, reincarnation etc., and could I shed a little light on it. So, having been in some form of "christian" church all of my 50 years, with the exception of a few years here and there. I quoted, "To be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord." But, I wasn't sure where to find it. I went to look it up, and the only thing I found was 2 Corinthians 5:8. Well, to my surprise it doesn't say that at all. Paul is saying, "I would rather be absent from the body, and to be home with the Lord." Well, I think that probably applies to most of us. But he isn't saying that is what definitely happens. Up in verse 6 it does say that when we are at home in this body, we are absent from the Lord. Another no brainer. But, it could lead one to believe that the opposite would happen. Still, it is not concrete enough for me to use this for an afterlife debate. I mean this isn't just one fluke church that missed it. I have heard this from church, T.V., radio, you name it. So naturally, I took this as truth. Well needless to say, I was pretty irritated when I discovered this for myself, not just because of this, but it just gets one to wondering what else is being used to deceive and try to manipulate people. So we should never take things we hear as gospel truth, until we search them out for ourselves. If you know where I may find a similar verse, please let me know, because I couldn't find one.

No comments: