Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Edge

A few weeks ago I mentioned that we're going to Florida on vacation, and that I haven't been there on vacation for 10 years. I haven't lived there for over 30 years now. I have decided to make South Dakota my home, so the initial homesickness you feel when you first move away from home is gone. Naturally there are times when I still miss family. I have children my family hasn't met. My nieces have had children that we haven't met. Needless to say I'm getting excited. It's weird for me to experience anticipation. I don't usually think about an upcoming event. The more you think about it, the slower time seems to go by. This time I am thinking about it quite a bit. I keep finding little short videos of things we'll be doing to show the kids. I've also been having an intuitive feeling lately. This hasn't been just a normal feeling that something is going to happen. It feels more like when you're trying to remember something, and just before you remember, you lose the thought, and you just yell aarrgh. Like you're right at the edge but can't quite see over. It's almost like little visions in a puzzle that I can't quite put together yet. I'm sure it is going to be something I need to write about. Most of the stories I've written here, and now on Damsels, Ghosts, and Heroes have been along the fun, funny, fantasy, theme. This feels different, maybe a dramatic, emotional, love story type of story. I tend to lean toward writing childrens stories, but some of the stuff I've read lately regarding the art of writing says to write outside of you comfort zone. Maybe this is where these little visions are headed. One of the things I do miss frequently about Florida is the beach and the ocean, so this trip we are going to spend a couple of days at the beach. If you've ever spent time sitting, listening to the waves wash onto the beach, you know how soothing and therapeutic that can be. Hopefully my therapy will be putting these little visions together. Stay tuned for future updates, and the whole picture sometime toward the end of next month. Thanks for sharing the journey with me, Paul

No comments: