Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Lifetime Of Firsts

When we have kids we expect their first year to be a year of "Firsts." We still have some firsts throughout the next few years, then the "firsts" become less frequent. We remember first days of school, first ballgames, or gymnastic events. This year I had one of those stunning, had to sit down for a second "firsts", when I got a text from the kids' mom when she told me our fourteen year old had his first kiss.
I remember a shocking first when I was in my thirties. I don't remember the exact circumstance but, it was the first time a teenager called me "sir." I remember standing there for a moment, probably with my mouth hanging open, I started to correct him, but reality set in and I realized, I was his elder and he was just doing what he was taught and was being respectful.
Today I had another weird first. It was kind of a reality check. Not completely, because even though I have children in kindergarten, first, second, and eighth grade, I also have a twenty four year old daughter, and a thirty one year old daughter. The reality is I also have grandchildren, and I accept the fact that I am old enough to have grandchildren.
Well, throughout this school year I have written a short story, and I've taken it to my second graders class once a month. I would leave off the ending, then over the course of the next month, their assignment would be to write an ending, and I would share mine. Today was my day to go to his class. It all started out normal, we were saying hi, they were telling me what had happened over the past month, then one of the kids said "Hey, you know what?" Naturally I said "What?" Then she said that shocking "first" "My grandmother has a crush on you." As you can imagine, by the time I got over my shock, I forgot to get her grandma's phone number.
Thanks for sharing another first in my life,
Paul

No comments: